Thursday 27 November 2014

POEM: 'A Very Cellular Poem'




A VERY CELLULAR POEM
ALIVE AND WELL AND 
LIVING, IN THEORY 


I’ve fallen into tragic shit,
I’m in love with the blonde girl
with the hair of tentacles
standing beside the pier,
I’m falling out of orbit
endlessly floating in neuron tides,
I’m reading other people’s texts
on the inside of my eyelids

I’ve fallen into tragic shit,
there’s only one time,
and it’s not enough,
despair is always tempting
and cheap dirt is dirt cheap,
it’s night in the abyss where
shocking phosphorescent things
crawl in impossible colors

I’ve seen all this before
in a copy of an ancient film
taken in the days when there
was a London and an Earth,
we’re not born to perfect lives 
but I saw this back in civilization
somewhere in a reconstruction
of a pre-atomic movie-house,
even sorcery couldn’t imagine such
stale lingerie and unfulfilled ambition,
so I might as well get it over with

I’ve fallen into tragic shit,
she tells me that all
my strengths are weaknesses,
that what we call normal
is just a chemical balance
in the brain, that we’re only
alive and well and living
in theory, and now I know
I’ve fallen into tragic shit…


Printed in, and featured on website:
‘BIG HAMMER #17: GONZO LIBRARY OF THE INDY OUTLAW’ http://www.outlawlibrary.blogspot.com 
(US – 18 November 2014)

No comments: