Thursday 30 June 2022

Poem: 'A Whispering Silence'

 





A WHISPERING SILENCE 
(Chalkidiki September 2006) 


arriving 
somewhere… 
but not here 

Poseidon’s green trident 
of peninsula’s thrust in 
bird-scattered Aegean, 
a vibrant cluster 
of villages set beneath 
the forested hills, with 
black scorched-earth scars 
wreaked by summer flame 

only the turtles survive, 
sculling safe beneath 
the deep-water surface 
of their hidden lake 

life grows progressively 
stranger, the longer I’m here, 
a deepening need to firm 
onto structures, as you 
change my world by leaving it 

there’s fossil-life beneath 
the surface of stone, 
yet for all associations 
with timelessness 
this place is ghosted 
with impermanence, 
old silences beneath 
deep-water surfaces 

your absence 
demands reorientation, 
a repositioning in 
altered topography 

I can’t escape 
sensing body-warmth 
in the touch of sun, 
your breath in the silent 
scars of old arguments, 
with words as events enough 
in themselves to define 
things that fray, but 
never quite separate, 
things that words are 
never equal to, until 
I can write poems to 
prove they are… 

in the slow drawing-in 
of dreams we share your 
wait for anticipated 
menstrual flow, as 
you arrive somewhere… 
but not here 

there’s no place 
like alone
 


Published in: 
‘PURPLE PATCH no.116’ 
(UK – February 2007) 
Featured online at: 
‘GYPSY ART SHOW’ 
(24 April 2019) 


1 comment:

Max Norton said...

Today is the happiest day of my life, because problems I have been battling
with over the years are now solved. My wife almost left me because she was
unable to put in (pregnant) as result of my weak erection and premature
ejaculation, I looked everywhere for a solution all to no avail, I have
even been scammed severally before I met a Man called dr Austin who put an
End the problem. If you are having erectile dysfunction contact him with this email draustinenlargementhome@gmail.com
whatApps him through +2347061508037.
he also specialize on the following things
PENILE/PENIS ENLARGEMENT
Gustatory Cure
Diabetes Cure
GENERAL BODY Herpes cure
Thanks for the Enlarging my penis sir, you indeed save my marriage...I am really grateful sir,