Thursday 30 November 2017

Poem: 'THIS IS ME'



THIS IS ME 


This is me rising at dawn,
this is me scratching lethargically,
this is me drinking coffee,
this is me removing the
circular inspection panel
from the top of my head.
This is me poking about inside
with bloody grey fingers,
this is me extracting a memory,
holding it between thumb & forefinger
in slight distaste.
This is me resealing
the inspection panel.
This is me enclosing the
memory in an envelope.
This is me posting the letter
in this hazy hung-over morning,
hoping it’ll reach you,
to remove the mask,
to remove the face
beneath the mask,
and leave it
gleaming
white
bone


2 comments:

Karen Smithey said...

Wow. This is me, so impressed. Very powerful image....love it.

Andrew Darlington said...

Thank you Karen, I appreciate your appreciation...