Saturday 30 April 2022

Poem: 'All I Ever Wanted To Do'

 




ALL I EVER WANTED TO DO 
(From an idea suggested by Bruce Hodder)
 

All I ever wanted to do was walk along the beach and rescue stranded driftwood, carve it into the form of real mermaids, and release them back into the sea...
 
All I ever wanted to do was walk on the surface of Callisto and look up at the psychedelic storms swirling across the face of Jupiter...
 
All I ever wanted to do was take acid with Captain Trips and jam 148 verses of ‘Dark Star’ at Stonehenge during a total eclipse...
 
All I ever wanted to do was live a hermit’s life in a cave beside a stream on the Yorkshire Moors, learn the language of dragonflies and moles, write poems on pieces of bread and feed them to the birds so that every time they crap on the city street or on someone’s car, it will be puréed verse…
 
All I ever wanted to do was own an emporium that sells time, in neat parcels of minutes or hours, to barter a weekend in 1961, a month in 1482, or a chance to say ‘I understand’ to a long-dead mother…

All I ever wanted to do was lie about nude in the sand, drawing pictures of mountains that look like bumps, as in Grace’s ‘Lather’…
 
All I ever wanted to do was put Debbie Harry’s panties through the liquidiser and drink them down straight, no chaser... 


Featured online at: 
‘IT: INTERNATIONAL TIMES’ 
(31 July 2021) 





No comments: